What is LASIK Eye Surgery?
For years, you have followed the same routine every morning—wake up, put in your contacts, and get ready for work. But that doesn’t have to be your life. You could wake up with crystal clear vision and toss your glasses and contacts.
A contact and glasses-free reality can be achieved with LASIK eye surgery, a simple, painless procedure that aids patients with nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. LASIK, which stands for laser in situ kertomileusis, is a corrective procedure for distorted corneal and lens shapes.
During LASIK, a highly trained specialist will use a microkeratome or laser to cut a thin flap in the cornea. Once the flap is lifted, a second laser will reshape the cornea, correcting any irregularities in shape that cause vision problems. The procedure takes as little as one minute per eye and patients may notice improved eyesight the very next morning.
LASIK’s many benefits include:
- Long-lasting results. LASIK is a permanent solution to vision problems. The results stabilize three months after surgery and usually require no follow up or additional treatment.
- Cost savings. The cost of contacts, contact solutions, and glasses is an estimated $1,000 per year. After only a few years, LASIK pays for itself.
- Goodbye astigmatism. Many patients are surprised to learn that astigmatism can be corrected with LASIK. Advances in technology now allow doctors to treat and improve vision for patients with astigmatism.
With the many benefits LASIK offers, it is not surprising the number of people scrambling to have their eyes corrected. However, the requirements for candidacy are strict to ensure the least amount of risk is taken. Generally, candidates must fit the following description:
- 18 years of age or older
- Stable vision with little change in prescription in recent years
- Healthy eyes free of conditions that affect thickness of the cornea
- Refractive error (nearsighted, farsighted, or astigmatism) is within range of treatment
If you are interested in LASIK eye surgery and have any questions, visit us at www.GAEyePartners.com.